THE SCHOOL CREST
The red cross of St George represents bravery and the white field, purity and truth. The scarlet aloe is a proud symbol of the Border region. The school motto; Veritas et Virtus (Truth and Courage) has inspired generations of girls since the late 19th Century. The magnificent…more »
The GHS staff worked tirelessly to run yet another successful Golf Day. In the 9-hole competition Meagan Newman (GHS) came 1st, Hannah de Jongh (GHS) 2nd and Joylyn Maytham (Balmoral) 3rd. The 18-hole competition attracted a full field and 5 Girls’ High golfers competed…more »
GRADE 8 APPLICATIONS
APPLICATIONS FOR 2019 ARE CLOSED.
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
To be a principle-centred school of excellence at which teachers, learners, employees and interested stakeholders teach, learn, work and interact together in a spirit of growth and harmony. In striving towards our vision we: Encourage all at our school to develop their unique potential…more »
BIRTHDAY WEEKEND 2019
The 144th Birthday Weekend will be from 2 – 4 August 2019.
NEW OFFICE HOURS
|Mondays – Thursdays||07:20 – 15:00|
|Fridays||07:20 – 13:30|
GHS PRIZE GIVING
The Girls’ High School Prize Giving, was as usual, the highlight of the year. This year we had the privilege of having Mrs Bianca le Roux as our Guest of Honour. The major prize winners were :
- The NON-NOBIS AWARD and the QUEENSWOOD TROPHY to LITHE-THAA TEMBANI
- The LESLIE TROPHY and The Star in the East Lodge Prize for ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT in Grades 11 and 12 and the FREDA SPENCE AWARD and the COCKIN CUP for the DUX SCHOLAR for 2018 to SARAH CONROY
- The DA FONSECA TROPHY for Outstanding Commitment and Contribution to Sport to JESSICA NEL
- The OPPERMAN TROPHY for Excellence in her chosen sport to SHANIA MULDER
- The R HAYES AWARD for the girl who has shown a keen spirit of Sportsmanship to KHANYISILE NGOZI
- The POPE CUP and the QUEENSTOWN HARRIERS AWARD for Best All-Rounder at Sport to MEGAN VAN OOSTEN
- The SHIRLEY COTTERREL TROPHY for Integrity and True Concern for others to SAZIKAZI MBALO
- The LES TERWIN MEMORIAL TROPHY for the non-school prefect who did the most for the school to JOYCE EJUMU
- The HOUSE SHIELD to the House which gained the most house marks during the year was awarded to GROOM
QUEENSTOWN GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL TEST CATCH-UP RULING
- Learners who miss a Tuesday Test will write the test the next day – Wednesday at 13:30
- Learners who miss a Thursday Test will write the test the next day – Friday at 13:30
- If a learner miss a scheduled test and cannot produce a medical certificate or other ACCEPTABLE evidence of their absence, they will receive ZERO for the test missed
Test Roster is available on school website / D6 / school notice boards.
Mr Chris Roux, Chairman of the Queenstown Girls’ High School Governing Body, has the pleasure in announcing that Mr Theo Anaxagoras has been appointed as Headmaster of Girls’ High School with effect from 1 January 2018. Mr Anaxagoras matriculated from Queen’s College Boys’ High School in 1979 and obtained a Higher Education Diploma in 1984 majoring in History and Political Science. He then went on to obtain his honours degree in Political Studies in 1999. After qualifying, Mr Anaxagoras taught at Kimberley Boys’ High School, Queen’s College Boys’ High School, Brebner High, Rondebosch Boys’, Crawford College and St Lawrence College in Athens. Mr Anaxagoras has been in the teaching profession for 30 years. He is currently teaching at Reddam House in Bedfordview, where he is a Grade Head, Head of Department for Senior History and a Senior Social Science teacher. During his teaching career, Mr Anaxagoras has coached 1st Team Hockey and Cricket. Mr Anaxagoras is joined by his wife, Jacqueline, and his daughter Allesandra, who will be joining the Grade 6 class at Balmoral for 2018. Mr Anaxagoras looks forward to settling down again in the Eastern Cape, having been part of the community while he was growing up, where his parents owned Charles’ Roadhouse many years ago. To you Mr Anaxagoras and your family, Girls’ High School welcomes you and we look forward to a long and prosperous association together.
ORDER FORM SUPPORTER CLOTHING
Supporters items for GHS, Balmoral and the OQA. First orders to be in by the 2nd of September. Methods of payment:
- EFT and then send proof of payment
- Include cash in an envelope with the order form
Payments are centralised into the Balmoral Trust account on the form and then they will pay our supplier Gaylards.